Start and Run a Book Club
Learn everything you need to know to start your own book club
- Do you want to read great books and talk about them with other people?
- Would you like to study a subject or read fiction on a particular theme, and make this part of your social life?
- Would you like to develop your listening skills and improve your ability to further discussion?
- Are you looking for a new activity to do with friends?
- Would you like a low-cost, structured way to socialise with new people?
- Have you always wanted to start a book club, but not been sure how to go about it?
If your answer to any of these questions is yes, this is the course for you!
In Start and Run a Book Club you will learn everything you need to know to start your own book club, organise meetings, recruit members, select books, hold interesting discussions, and deal with any issues that may arise.
I will talk you through everything you need to consider when selecting a venue and choosing a time to meet. You will learn how to promote your book club offline and via social media. I'll cover the pros and cons of delegating responsibilities, and talk about whether holding book club meetings in your own home is a good idea or not!
And of course, I'll show you how to find books to read and teach you how to devise discussion questions that are relevant to the specific books that you choose.
Julianne Benford taught herself to read when she was three years old (true - just ask her mum!). As being a reading prodigy does not make for a lucrative career, she studied media, English literature, and creative writing, then tried a range of jobs before settling in higher education, where she manages communications and publicity.
She aims to explore subjects that aren't currently covered in other courses or books and create courses that are practical as well as inspirational.
She doesn't have much spare time as she has so many ambitions and interests, but when she allows herself some downtime she likes to sing, sew, knit, play piano, play board games, and of course, read!
StartWhy Do You Want to Start a Book Club? (1:03)
StartWhat Kind of Book Club is Right for You? (To Theme, or Not to Theme) (1:41)
StartTheme Ideas (1:31)
StartTime-Delimited Book Clubs (1:03)
StartDo You Want to Be the King or the President? Dictatorship vs. Committee (1:03)
StartA Rose By Any Other Name...Naming Your Book Club (0:51)